Saturday, November 23, 2013

Thanksgiving Dressing!

One of my favorite things in life is this recipe! I remember eating it at every Thanksgiving and Christmas for as long as I remember! This recipe was passed down to me from my grandmother, Toye Thrasher!! 

Surprisingly, this recipe is really easy, unlike some that have been passed down!!

First you need to start with a pan of cornbread! This is the recipe from the back of the Martha White bag. I added two tablespoons of sage and one tablespoon of poultry seasoning when mixing to help flavor the cornbread later. I doubled the recipe and cooked it in a 12 inch cast iron skillet.
You also need to toast 6 slices of what ever bread you have in the pantry. I put it in the oven while it was preheating.
Here's the wet stuff!!

2 sticks of melted butter
Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
Can of Cream of Celery Soup
6 eggs
1 carton of chicken broth

And your spices! Poultry Seasoning, Sage and S&P!

First crumble 3/4 of the pan of cornbread, if you like your dressing dry add it all.
Then I just tear up the loaf bread in no certain form or fashion.
Once bread is crumbled I tossed it together and then added the butter and the soups.
Then add the eggs.
Then stir in the chicken broth. I pour alittle and then stir till the carton is empty. The mixture will be really runny!
Then add your spices! I did 2 teaspoons of all 4 of the following, poultry seasoning, sage and S&P.
Then pour mixture in a 9x13! It will fill it up all the way to the top. Bake at 450 for 25 minutes then finish it off at 350 for 30. 

I made this mid afternoon so I then covered it with foil and left it in the oven turned off till we were ready for dinner. 
And there ya go!!! It is just waiting for some cranberry sauce and turkey!

A recipe note:

You need 5 cups of crumbled cornbread. 

I hope you enjoy this recipe! I plan on serving it to Jamie's family on Thursday along with a multitude of other things!!!

Enjoy!

B

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Good cornbread dressing is an art that few can master. It looks like you have got it down, girl!

    ReplyDelete