Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Apple Dumplings!

This is a recipe that I hold close to my heart! It is something my grandmother used to make and a recipe that she taught me! It was the first thing I remember making many years ago. This recipe I have adapted from hers and a recipe I found online. I am sure there are many variations of an apple dumplings but this one gets 2 thumbs up!!
This recipe uses Granny Smith apples, normally just two but I doubled the recipe to take to a get together so I used four!
Peel the apple then cut into eighths. 
Next cut the core out. You could use a fancy apple corer, but it is not something I own. Jamie, great stocking stuffer idea!!
Now you have your apples prepared, I put them all in a large bowl and drizzle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
32 apple segments. A normal recipe makes 16.
Ahhhhh the Pillsbury Cresent roll, it has so many uses and makes a perfect dumpling!!
I rolled out the crescents and tore them along the premade lines and rolled the apple inside.
Now repeat 32 times!
I am using am aluminum pan to take to the get together but normally I would make the regular recipe in a 9x13 glass dish.
Only 24 would for in this pan so, I put 8 in a separate dish for us to have the next day!
Now for the ooey gooey goodness that makes them so delicous! It's scary but melt 4 sticks of butter in a saucepan.
Once the butter is melted add 3 cups of sugar.
Stir just to combine, don't let it boil. 
Then add 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.
Once the mixture is combined, spoon or pour the mixture over your dumplings. I reserved a little for my smaller pan that is why I measured.
Some people use OJ like my grandmother and some people use Sprite, but the pioneer woman uses Mountain Dew! I am not sure how she came about this but it makes it amazing. I used 16 oz but she uses 12 oz per recipes. 
You pour the Mountain Dew around the edge! I forgot to add the cinnamon in the sugar mixture so I sprinkled it on top.
This is what it looks like, a big soupy mess! Bake it at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour.
And this is what comes out of the oven! I love these so much I could eat them everyday! Don't eat them immediately, I let them sit for about an hour. Something about them sitting in that liquid for a little longer just makes them better! Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping 

Here's the recipe: (I doubled this)

2 apples (cut into eighths and peeled)
2 8 oz cans of Cresent rolls
2 sticks of butter
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla 
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
8 oz of Mountain Dew

I highly recommend this as part of you thanksgiving spread!

Stay tuned this week for Chocolate sheet cake and making canned green beans taste homemade!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment