Friday, November 8, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

So, I haven't been in the kitchen for a whole week due to a death in the family that sent us to Pittsburgh. I missed being in the kitchen so this weekend I am going on a cooking marathon! I have a whole laundry list of things I am cooking for a visit to a friends to watch the game and for a family meal this weekend! Tonight is Chicken Pot Pie!!! I have always wanted to make one and Ree Drummond made one on the Today Show this week so I wrote down the recipe, bought my ingredients and thought it would be perfect on this chilly Friday night! 

First comes the veggies! 
1/2 of a cup of onion, celery and carrots. Finely chopped. (I am not a good chopper so this is the best this pot pie was getting)
This recipe is the perfect use for a pre-cooked chicken from the grocery store. You need 2 cups of chicken, cubed or pulled. 
Once everything is chopped and shredded. You can move on to the cooking and assembly!
Melt 1/2 of a stick of butter in a sauce pan. I used my Le Crueset Dutch oven.
Add in your veggies and cook till it looks like this:
Buttery, bubbly deliciousness!
Stir in your chicken.
Sprinkle on 1/4 of a cup of AP flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add in 3 cups of low sodium chicken broth and stir to combine.
Then it is time for spices! Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper. Stir.
Then add 1/4 cups of cream and 1 tablespoon fresh thyme. Now you are going to let your filling simmer till thickened. It can be served just like this as a soup!
Or you can pour it in a 2.5 quart casserole dish! And top with pie crust!
I have never made pie crust so I used Pillsbury in the refrigerated section.
Then I attempted to make it look pretty!
Poke a few slits in the top to vent.
Then combine one egg with 1 tablespoon of water to make an egg wash.
And brush the egg wash on top!
To ensure a clean oven, place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
A chicken pot pie! I will say it was a little runny. But delicious! Next time I will let it thicken more before I put in the casserole! 

Here is the recipe:


1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup celery
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1/4 cup AP Flour
3 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 pie crust
Egg Wash

Stay tuned this week for chocolate chip cheese ball, apple dumplings, Italian drip beef sandwiches and old fashions sheet cake!

Thanks for reading.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment