Saturday, December 7, 2013

Pound Cake

This is another recipe that was past down to me by my grandmother Toye. The base is her Cream Cheese Pound Cake and I just add some cinnamon because I love cinnamon! Toye has been making this pound cake for longer than I have been alive and I hope I will be able to pass this recipe down to my children and grandchildren!

Here is the recipe:

1 8oz block of cream cheese
3 sticks of butter 
3 cups of sugar
6 eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla
3 cups of cake flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon

The most important thing is an hour before you plan on making this cake you need to set the butter and cream cheese out to soften.

Cream the butter and the cream cheese together. I do this for about 3 minutes .
Add in the sugar and cream for a full five minutes. 
It should be fluffy and pale yellow. It took me a few years but I finally realized that there is a proper way to cream sugar and butter. For me it is number 3 on my Kitchenaid for a full five minutes.
Add each of the six eggs individually until combined. Remember to to crack in a cup or bowl to avoid adding shells to your cake.
After all the eggs are added pause for a minute scrap down the sides of the bowl.
Then add in your flour and remember to measure properly.
Mix well and now is the time to add your vanilla and cinnamon. You will end up with a thick doughy batter. 
This is also my wonderful grandmother bundt pan! She was so kind to pass it on to me! The only complaint I have is a bundt pan is notorious for sticking! So you have to prepare it well!
You need to smear the entire inside of the pan with butter, when you think you have too much add some more.
Then dust the entire thing with flour. I do this over the sink to avoid a mess.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Bake at 300 degrees for 90 minutes!
And here you have a beautiful pound cake!!! You can dust with powdered sugar or glaze like I did.

My glaze was simple. Cream Cheese, butter, powdered sugar and milk. 

And my mother in law said it was delicous!!! 

Enjoy!!

B

1 comment:

  1. What were the measurements you used for making your glaze? I would love to make this for a Christmas gathering. Everything is better glazed!

    ReplyDelete