Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin Butter Cake

The perfect fall dessert has to contain pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. The perfect dessert has to contain butter, cream cheese and has to be topped with whipped cream. This dessert contains all of these ingredients! I would love to say this was my recipe but it belongs to the  butter queen, Paula Deen. 

My sister introduced this recipe to me and I have shared it numerous times. Even for those who don't love pumpkin it is a hit!

Here are the ingredients, minus the one egg that rolled into the sink. How could this combination not be delicious?
Normally I would make this cake in a 9x13 pan but I always throw half of it away so I am using an 8x8 aluminum cake pan and a 7x9 glass dish to make two cakes. I am sure my in-laws will love it! Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and spraying the pans with PAM baking spray.
Next melt 1 stick of butter. I use a coffee cup, always have, and yes that is a John Deere coffee cup, left from Jamie's bachelor days. Let this cool while you finish mixing the base layer of the cake.
Pour the yellow cake mix into a mixing bowl. you will notice Jamie is doing all the work in his recipe because I decided it was a good idea to slice my finger open while opening the pumpkin!
Add one egg and the melted stick of butter.
Mix with your hand mixer until combined it will form a lose ball and be really thick.
Press the base layer (much easier when you have two hands I might add) into the dish. I divided the layer evenly among both pans. Now on to the creamy pumpkiny filling!!!
Place one block of cream cheese and one can of pumpkin into your mixing bowl, you can use the same bowl, just wipe it out.
Cream the two together until smooth, stopping to scrap down the sides of the bowl atleast once.
Add three eggs one at a time, mixing in between. Then add a second stick of melted butter.
Add the vanilla, I never measure because I just don't see how you could ever use too much! Continue mixing.
Pour an entire box of confectioners sugar into the bowl and mix slowly, stopping occasionally to scrap down the sides.
Once completely combined add in cinnamon and nutmeg. I don't measure these either, because we love nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix one last time making sure all ingredients are combined and the batter is smooth.
Pour the filling over the base layer. Divide evenly according to the number of pans you are using. While typing this I had the thought of doing individual cakes in smaller baking dishes, great for dinner parties.
They should look like this when filling is poured on to the base layer. Place these in the preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes, the filling should be a little under done when removed from the oven.
Let the cake sit on the counter to cool and set up for 30 minutes.
You can see the separate layers in this picture!
After cooling for 30 minutes, serve warm with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon! Don't worry about trying to cut it into squares, it doesn't work too well, so after this failed square we now serve it like a spoon cake! 

Here is the recipe:

Base layer:
1 box Yellow Cake mix
1 stick melted butter
1 egg

Filling:
1 block of cream cheese, softened 
1 can 100% pumpkin, Libby's
3 eggs
1 stick melted butter
1 box confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon 

I hope all you enjoy this cake as much as we do, it is Jamie's favorite fall dessert!! But be careful when opening cans!, my poor finger is struggling!

Stayed tuned tomorrow to see what I am doing with this:

B

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! My favorite! I am jealous that you are able to find the 16 ounce boxes of confectioners sugar! As long as I have been making this cake (years and years) I have never been able to find the boxed confectioners sugar, only 32 ounce bags!

    ReplyDelete