Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Meat Sauce!!!


The first thing I cooked as a teenager was spaghetti! It was my signature dish! I would make it for my family and friends for as long as I can remember. Over the years the recipe has for the most part remained the same with a few little changes that have kept it delicious! This recipe is a large batch, we have it for dinner, I have it for lunch and then I freeze half of it! I hope you enjoy this fast delicious week night dinner!!

First start off with the basics of any great Italian meal! Onion, garlic and bell pepper.
Chop. 
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in you Le Crueset Dutch oven.
Add your onion, bell pepper and garlic
Sauté until the garlic is very fragrant, you don't want it to burn! As soon as the garlic is fragrant and the onions are starting to caramelize, add in 1 lb ground sirloin.
I use 90/10. This eliminates the step of having to drain the beef after cooking. Brown the beef completely.
Now it is time to season!!! I use 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon garlic salt, a few shakes of crushed red pepper flakes and a shake or two of oregano.
This combo smells amazing! Now for the tomato products!! Over the years I have used several different sauces and they all work great! Prego was my favorite but then I discovered that using a basic tomato sauce made it taste more homemade and I could control the flavor. For a year or so I made my own sauce from scratch but really who has time for that!! Then I saw an episode of the Pioneer Woman and she added premade marinara sauce! So I tried the same and it was great!! After you season the meat mixture add 20 oz of tomato sauce and one jar of premade marinara sauce.
Stir to combine.
Then you are going to add 2 tablespoons of sugar.
This helps cut through the tomato acidity and brings out the true flavor of the tomato. Now reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
The house will smell amazing! You can serve this over whatever pasta you prefer.  Or whatever you have in your pantry! I had spaghetti on hand (there are still a few steps below) Also I made an easy garlic bread to go with. Just take your favorite bread, spread with butter/margarine and sprinkle with garlic salt then toast at 350 degrees! 
It turns out delicous! Once the sauce has simmered for 1 hour it is time for the finishing touches. Now add 1 cup of heavy cream.
And 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
And you are ready to serve!
There is nothing like spaghetti, in my opinion definitely one of my favorite meals.

Enjoy!!!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment