Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fake out Take out for under $15

One of our many New Years Resolutions was to save money!! One of the places we spend the most money is the grocery store. I cook sometimes 3 meals a day not to mention snacks and baking experiments. This causes our grocery bill every month to be outrageously high, I think a family of 4 could eat comfortably on what I spend at the grocery store. But, in saving money I am not willing to give up making great food, baking, cutting out processed food, lowering sugar and in general eating healthy! So there are a few tips that I have learned in researching food cost savings that I feel apply to us!

1: Find meat on sale or buy in bulk! I refuse to pay over $2 a pound for chicken. We like beef and beef is expense! I have learned to buy on sale and freeze!!
2: Have a stocked pantry. The recipe I am about to share only cost me $9 at the store yesterday because I had everything but one item in my pantry.
3: Go to multiple stores. I shop Kroger and Publix because let's get real Publix is outrageous on some items for example their rotissiere chicken is $7 and is half the size of the $5 one at Kroger. I don't go to two stores weekly but I do big shopping at Kroger weekly and small trips inbetween I go to Publix. Also our cereal is $3.29 at Kroger but $4.29 at Publix.
4: Buy fresh vegatables from a farmers market or local grower. We use Blooming Colors and the AG market at the university. Also try to make your menu around what is in season.
5: Make a menu! And try to use the same ingredient multiple times in one week. For example if you need 1 cup of chicken broth for a recipe try to use the rest of the container in another recipe that week to avoid waste. When I analyzed my fridge I noticed we have a lot of waste, leftovers, extra stuff and just sometimes I buy too much.

I am going to try these tips for a month and see what happens!!!! The recipe I am going to share with you today is an inexpensive homemade version of A Chinese takeout favorite: Beef and Broccoli! Jamie said it was the best meal I had made in a while and one of his new favorites!! 
Yummy! Here are the ingredients:
I had all of these in my pantry and only had to buy the chuck roast! And this is a slow cooker recipe so you can start it before work! Also I used the Splenda brown sugar blend because Jamie is diabetic but you can use brown sugar if you would like. First you need to make the sauce in the crockpot.
1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 can of Beef Consommé, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1/3 cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons minced garlic. Whisk together and prepare your meat!!
Here is my $18 chuck roast, last minute recipe decision so I couldn't find one on sale! I cut it in half and froze the other half to use later, maybe next week since Jamie loved this!! The. I sliced it very think using a super sharp meat clever.
Then put it in the crock pot and toss I the sauce. Set it in low for four hours!! After the four hours you will need to make a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce!! 
Take 4 tablespoons of the cooking liquid and whisk with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
Then pour into the crock pot and stir. Also pour in your frozen broccoli, as much or as little as you like.
Stir to combine and then let cook on low for 30 minutes. In the meantime make brown or white rice (with chicken broth for extra flavor). 
Then serve it up! It really was really good and easy. 

Enjoy

B

No comments:

Post a Comment