Friday, January 24, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Jamie, my husband, loves to keep me busy in the kitchen! He is my number one fan, my number one motivator and my number one food requester! For this weekends hunting camp trip it was chocolate chip cookies. The exact request was no oats because I am not a horse. And then I asked if I could put in pecans and it was a strong NO! So basic delicious chocolate chip cookies were on my Thursday afternoon/evening agenda! 

A chocolate chip cookie shouldn't be a complicated thing. I mean you do need the the perfect ratio of chips and cookie, the perfect height, the perfect size and it has to be delicious! To me there is no better recipe than the original Toll House recipe! 
So first I will go through the recipe and then I am going to share a little baking mat experiment that I did!

Start with two sticks of butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 a cup of packed brown sugar and cream on medium in your stand mixer. 
When the sugars and the butter are creamed add two eggs one at a time.
Yummy!!! Smells great already!
Add about a teaspoon of vanilla! Then you will add your dry ingredients. While everything was mixing I combined them in a separate container!
2 1/4 cups AP Flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Combine and then gradually add to the mixer. Once the flour is incorporated remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in 2 cups of Toll house chocolate chips!
Now this isn't in the recipe! I cover and refrigerate the dough while my oven preheats, atleast for 20 minutes.

During this time I thought, I need three half sheet pans and I have three different non stick baking options so let's see what the best one is.
Here are the three options. Parchment, my Pampered Chef baking mat and my silpat.

After the dough was chilled, I used my medium scoop to place 6 cookies on each sheet. I baked at 375 degrees for 12 minutes!

First the SILPAT:
The SILPAT was good, cookies didn't get golden on top, they didn't spread much from my original shape and they browned nicely on the bottom.

Next was the Pampered Chef Baking Mat:
Pampered chef mat was great! The cookies spread, golden on top and golden on the bottoms.

Next Parchment Paper:
Parchment was good, the cookies didn't spread and were slightly golden top and perfect on the bottom.

Here all three together:

Top:

Bottom:

In my opinion, there was not that big of difference in the three baking mats. But the pampered chef cookies spread more so the cookie was slightly larger! The main reason for my experiment is that I am going to a Pampered Chef Party this week and was unsure if I wanted to buy another mat! I will definitely compare the price of the SILPAT and the pampered chef mat.

All in all this recipe is a win, Jamie said it was the best cookie I have ever made and I have to agree. Great cookie!!!

Enjoy

B

No comments:

Post a Comment